Monday, October 13, 2008

Gosport Chapel


I performed an internship here while I was a senior in college. It's not that far from where we live--maybe five hours drive? But I really miss this place. It's the Isles of Shoales. It's been inhabited since the 1600's. Captain John Smith discovered it. It's just off the coast of Massachusetts and Maine. But the history on this group of eight islands is amazing. My internship was about whale watches, the trip to the islands was on the side, but I would like my family to experience this place by doing both the whale watch and the trip to Star Island. Gosport Chapel is located on Star Island, New Hampshire. There were Native American invasions, people swept off to sea, a family who succumbed to Yellow fever, who are buried here, and people who lived here supporting themselves on dryfish and fishing. There was even a famous murder. Not to mention the fire, the lighthouse and the artist colony. Anyway, it's just an amazing place. People from New Hampshire are very independent-minded, and the history of that goes back to the beginning of history here! What fun it was to explore this area!

1 comment:

calmrapids said...

I was just telling my co-teacher today at work about your whale-watching summer. She said, "Where do I join up?" Sounds and looks fascinating.